Wordpad and M/S Office

swapper 16:59 10 Oct 09

Vista Home premium.

My friend has just bought a laptop, and knows very little about PC's. (like Me).

When she uses WordPad, saves the document in .rtf, reopens it, it opens with M/s office, telling her this is a trial option.

How does she get these documents to open in wordpad again, rather than m/s office.

tia

VoG II 17:02 10 Oct 09

Try Method 2 click here

Woolwell 17:10 10 Oct 09

I suspect that your friend will get fed up with the limitations of WordPad. But the problem is due to the fact that the rtf file extension is associated to Word. There are 2 ways of making rtf associated to WordPad - probably the easiest is to find the rtf which you want to open and the right click on it and then select open with and then choose default program. You can the select Wordpad - if WordPad is not there then you will have to browse to find it. Alternatively you can click on start and select default programs (if that option is not there you will have to go into Control Panel and find it) and then choose associate a file type with a program and scroll down to rtf file - highlight it and then click on change program and you should see WordPad. Click on that.

Woolwell 17:11 10 Oct 09

VoG™ had less to type!

Stuartli 18:41 10 Oct 09

A more versatile alternative to WordPad, although based on its engine, is Jarte:

click here

It's compatible with Word and WordPad.

BRYNIT 19:53 10 Oct 09

If the MS Office is a trial version and she is not going to use it why not just uninstall MS Office.

swapper 17:09 14 Oct 09

sorry for the long delay in answering, as she is new to computers, I don't want to confuse her by swapping programmes at the moment.
Word Pad is fine for her to get started.
I resolved the problem by going to a wordpad file, properties, open with wordpad , not word.

thank you for your input.

Stuartli 18:40 14 Oct 09

>>I don't want to confuse her by swapping programmes at the moment.>>

Better change your handle then...:-)

swapper 07:38 15 Oct 09

Oh dear! oh dear! oh dear!!!!

nice one :-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac