Word97 sticks on splash screen

xuroys 22:43 28 Feb 06

I am running Win98SE and recently Word97 has been taking longer and longer to load. Now it will not load at all but sticks on the splash screen. I can eventually get rid of the splash screen but by then my system is dangerously low on memory resources and I almost always have to reboot. What's up doc ?
Cheerz,
Baz

VoG II 22:47 28 Feb 06

Close Word. Search for the file normal.dot and rename it to abnormal.dot

Start Word

xuroys 23:12 28 Feb 06

Nope, renaming normal.dot didn't do the job. By the way, I already deleted and re-installed Word97 and re-installed Win98SE and the blasted thing is still not working !!!
Baz

Simsy 06:54 01 Mar 06

deleting all temp files as well...

It might be that when it tried to load previously a temp file was created by a corrupt normal.dot Although you have now got rid of normal.dot, and reinstalled, perhaps there is a temp file that still exists that is causing a problem.

I'm assuming that you reinstalled win98 "over the top", rather than doing a reformat as well?

Regards,

Simsy

xuroys 10:26 01 Mar 06

I tried your suggestion but still the program stuck on the splash screen and by the time I had got rid of it there wasn't enough memory left to launch Outlook Express !!
Yes, I did re-install Win98SE over the top of the existing program as I am missing too many files to make formatting an option unless in the end it becomes the ONLY option. I can work around this problem if I have to but would prefer to resolve it.
Cheers,
Baz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…