Word will not open .doc files

John-338620 01:26 06 Dec 03

I have recently bought a laptop with XP installed. I have bought and installed an external usb floppy drive for it. Word 2002 will save a .doc file to the floppy, and I can open a .doc file on the floppy via Word (file, open or File, recent files), but Word freezes if I try to open a .doc file from the floppy drive via Explorer or My Computer. All other types of file will open via Explorer from the floppy drive.

I can find nothing about this on the MS knowledgebase site.

Any ideas anyone?

Regards

John

LeadingMNMs 09:37 06 Dec 03

if your using XP then try opening Control Panel and selecting Folder Options. Go to the File Types Tab and scroll down until you find the DOC extension. Check that it is set to Microsoft Word and if not Change.

My only suggestion I'm afraid.

keith-236785 09:38 06 Dec 03

save the file to the hard drive and try opening through explorer.

if it opens then it is a problem with explorer reading the usb floppy drive, i don't have a usb floppy drive so i can't help with solving the problem but at least you would have narrowed it down slightly.

One other thing, it may be possible to repair the installation of Word, try looking in the help menu.

good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…