Word viewer will not read Word document

mother inferior 16:43 06 Jan 04

I have made a brochure (containing a table)in MS Word97 in *.doc format. The brochure needed to be transferred to my mother-in-law's PC for printing as we don't have a printer. Anticipating compatibility issues (we use MS Office on a system running Win98SE; she uses MS Works on a system running WinXP), I made one page and opened it on her PC. The PC read and printed my test document and I assumed it would work.

I then spent the day making the brochure, FTPing and downloading it to her PC. Now when I go to open the documents, Works says that it can't read them (I tried various options - double-clicking to open; selecting different *.doc file extensions from the drop down menu etc). I downloaded the Word97 viewer from Microsoft and it, too, claims not to be able to read the documents. Is there anything I can do to make her PC recognise these documents?

And why can't different Microsoft word processors read each other's file formats??? Arrrrrgh!

Please help!

Jill

Gongoozler 17:08 06 Jan 04

Any version of Microsoft Word should be able to read a document from the same or an earlier version of Word. As long as you have saved the document as Word Document (*.doc). Opening the document from within Word is the safest way.

Djohn 17:21 06 Jan 04

You say that your Mum-in-law has "Works" on her PC. Can you confirm if it is and which version?

"Works-Suite" has the same version of word as the Office programs but some versions of "Works" have their own version of a microsoft word processor.

This may be the reason and it may be a different file extension.
Not sure what it will be, but others will know. j.

mother inferior 17:25 06 Jan 04

Yes, she has 'Works' which has a 'Works word processor'- not Word. I assume she has the latest version of Works as she only bought her PC last week.

Is there any way to get Works to recognise a Word document? Or any way to convert my docs into a form which Works can read, preferrably one that will retain the table information?

Djohn 17:35 06 Jan 04

Found this in the help files. Hope it is of use to you. j.

To open a Word document in Works

In the Works Task Launcher, click the Programs tab, click Works Word Processor, and then click Start a blank Word Processor document.

The word processing program opens.

Click the Open button on the toolbar.
In the Files of type box, click Word 97-2002 (*.doc).

In the Look in box, locate the folder or drive containing the Word document.

Click the file you want, and then click Open.
Once you open the document, edit as you would in Word. Since Word contains some advanced features that Works does not, these features will not work in Works.

If you know you'll be sharing a "soft copy" of your document with a Word user, save it in Word format (*.doc). Word users can open a file saved in Works Word Processor format (*.wps), but the file will be more recognizable to a Word user if you save it in the Word format.

To save a Works word processing document in Word format

On the File menu, click Save As.
In the Save as type box, click Word 97-2000 & 6.0/95 - RTF (*.doc).

Stuartli 17:38 06 Jan 04

Just download the Word/Works converter from Microsoft:

click here

Stuartli 17:40 06 Jan 04

..Djohn was posting...:-)

mother inferior 18:21 06 Jan 04

Hopefully that will do the trick.

Mind you, I still don't understand why it worked this morning and not this afternoon...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…