word v pdf - best practice?

mco 19:22 07 Jan 05

I run a basic club website - under a hundred viewers but growing fast - and regularly upload documents, often only a page long. My question is: is there a 'netiquette' or best practice as to whether these should be in word or pdf, or doesn't it matter? Can I assume members can view word or can I assume they have acrobat reader? (if not, do I put up a link to get it?)

Taran 19:47 07 Jan 05

PDF is my usual choice, but I do sometimes use Word .doc files.

PDF files cannot be easily edited or modified, although you can add comments to them or edit them if you are really determined.

There's no real answer for general, semi-formal document sharing. It falls down to personal preference unless you have some specific requirements in mind.

Both document types are a standard and both are almost universally supported. You could always offer both...

Why not see which one offers you the best bandwidth consumption ?

If your .doc files are smaller than your PDF's, that could help you to make a decision.

Forum Editor 20:07 07 Jan 05

is to offer .pdf files and put a link to the Adobe Acrobat site, so people can download the reader if they don't have it.

There are considerable advantages to the pdf standard, not the least of which is that you can create a file in any wordprocessor or Desktop publishing application and be sure that the pdf will accurately reproduce it on any computer, regardless of whether the user has the original application installed.

mco 20:17 07 Jan 05

thankyou!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…