Word templates won't behave

Pineman100 17:02 21 Nov 08

Word XP (2002) under Windows XP.

My Word templates have suddenly started behaving oddly. I have two templates - Normal.dot and [myhousename].dot. In both cases, the cursor now insists on placing itself on the very top line of the page, despite the fact that the top margin is defined in Page Setup as 2.54 cm on an A4 page. If I type to the bottom of the page, the cursor also allows me to type on the very bottom line, even though the bottom margin is also defined as 2.54 cm.

The left and right margins are behaving normally.

I've also noticed that page 2 is separated from page 1 only by a black line, whereas in the past there's always been a couple of centimetres of background space between the two.

I've tried deleting Normal.dot and allowing Word to recreate it - that's made no difference.

Any idea what's going on, and how I can get Word to behave, please?

MAT ALAN 17:03 21 Nov 08

rename them normal.old reboot PC...

VoG II 17:12 21 Nov 08

Not sure exactly where in that version of Word but Tools > Options and somewhere you will find an option 'Show white space'. Tick it.

Chris the Ancient 17:25 21 Nov 08

Sounds like you're in the wrong view!?

Go to the view menu and select print layout.

CtA

Diemmess 17:47 21 Nov 08

In Office XP there is a "facility" which hides the white page and shows only from the first characters on the page.

You can toggle this on or off by carefully taking the cursor to the top margin of the page when it should turn from the normal to a logo all its own which is a sort of small symbolic sandwich including tiny up and down arrows.
Click on this and the view should go back to normal.

Pineman100 18:05 21 Nov 08

I ticked Tools>Options>View - White Space Between Pages and the whole problem disappeared.

Diemmess, I suspect that your suggestion was probably an alternative approach to the same solution.

Anyway, job done, and many thanks to you all for your responses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…