Word Template Problem

Goldcroft 17:51 11 May 03

I had a new letterhead template designed. It is in Word (585kb) and called letter_tp2.doc. It was emailed to me and I opened and saved it as a template. It shows up as such when I open Word and I can summon it up. But I cannot move the cursor from inside the letterhead to write a letter. If I click the letterhead is surrounded by a line with the black blocks for dragging on corners and horizontals. Is it because the original design should also have contained the entire blank A4 page.

Please, is there a way to make it work.

jolorna 18:32 11 May 03

can you insert a text box into the area you wish to use

BrianW 18:38 11 May 03

Try opening it into Page Layout format, then click on Insert Text Box - make the text box large enough to complete the A4 page. This is a bodge but you should be able to insert your text into the new area. To answer your other question, yes - I think your template needed to have the full A4 format set up, and it should have been sent to you as a .dot template document.

fitshase 18:42 11 May 03

Try:-

- right clicking on the letterhead and selecting Format Picture (or something along those lines)

- click on the Layout tab

- select In Line With Text

- click OK

Now try clicking on the letterhead, press the right arrow key and then press Enter.

Regards

Fitshase

Goldcroft 19:13 11 May 03

Thanks everyone. Unable to try your ideas immediately, but will report back when I can. Thanks again.

otubby1 21:17 11 May 03

Here's another one for you Goldcroft. I think you'll find it has been imported as a graphic.
On the bottom task bar (drawing tool bar) in Word, click on the text box icon and drag a box around the letterhead.
Adjust them to the same size and, if you want to move them, move your cursor towards the outside of them until it becomes a cross with arrowheads on all four points and click.
This can sometimes be a bit fiddly, but it works. Then you will be able to move it around like a graphic.
Hope this solves the problem.

Goldcroft 16:02 12 May 03

... but I am afraid that I still cannot get it to work as a letterhead. Guess I'll have to wait for the designer to return from her hols and get her to redo with the whole A4 page as the template, as BrianW suggests. All the best to you all.

fitshase 17:19 12 May 03

Try this:-

- Open the template

- Click on the letterhead so you get the surrounding line with black dots

- Click edit\cut

- Click view\headers & footers

- In the header, click edit\paste

- Click outside of the header and you should see the letterhead slightly faded (don't worry as it will print in its full glory) and you should be able to type.

Regards

Fitshase

fitshase 17:20 12 May 03

forgot to add, if it works, save it as a template again then close it. Then click on File\New and select that template.

regards

Fitshase

wee eddie 18:55 12 May 03

As a template it will be saved as "letter_tp2.dot" so when you open it.

Go to "Save as".

Word Document (*.doc)

with luck this may solve the problem.

wee eddie 19:01 12 May 03

What you may have is the Letterhead ready to be placed on a Document.

So - Highlight it - Copy it - Open a new Word Document - Paste it to the top of the page - Save that document as a Template.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…