Word - setting tabs - help please!

Carafaraday 13:53 09 Aug 04

I need to know how to set a tab in Word which will keep the whole paragraph aligned to that point - ie everything I type thereafter until I press 'enter'. I can manage left, right, centre and decimal but have no idea how to do this. I'm not sure I've explained very well what I mean so just hope someone out there is very clever indeed!

gizzyx 14:04 09 Aug 04

do you mean a hanging indent? the three little marks on the top ruler, like two little tiiangles above a little bx are for setting indents. drag the bottom triangle and the little box along the ruler to where you want the indent to hang.then type. thefollowing lines will hang below the indent untill you press enter.

cherria 14:16 09 Aug 04

Alternatively, next to the bullet button on the toolbar, is the increase and decrease indent buttons, click the one with the arrow pointing right until you get the indent you want. Type away, then when you want to outdent, click the one with the button pointing left until you are back where you want to be.

Carafaraday 15:03 09 Aug 04

Many thanks to both of you. I am really struggling with converting my old WP files to Word and am very grateful for your rapid replies.

Carafaraday 15:13 09 Aug 04

Ok - thanks. I can manage to work this when I'm typing something new. My problem is converting 47 pages of WP files. The lines I am trying to change go something like this.
Date (tab) number (tab) style) (3rd tab) description
It's at the 3rd tab that I want to convert the next lump of text so it all stays neatly together instead of going back to the left margin after the end of the first line. I've tried selecting it and then moving the little triangle and box but it doesn't seem to like that. any ideas?

Djohn 15:31 09 Aug 04

I think it's the hanging indent tab that you need to move, just the L shaped one and not the square one that is underneath it.

cherria 15:44 09 Aug 04

What version of Word are you using?

Go to Help -> About Microsoft Word for this informaiton.

Beth 15:45 09 Aug 04

If you select the paragraph and use the Format > Paragraph option you can select a hanging indent and increase it to the size you want. You can watch it happening in the demo box so you can get it in the right place.

Djohn 15:52 09 Aug 04

Also you do not need to highlight the paragraphs you wish to alter. Left click your cursor at the start of the paragraph to make it active. click on the Tab well to choose the type of tab you want to use then left click your mouse cursor on the ruler bar to insert the tab, your text will move to that point.

cherria 15:53 09 Aug 04

Ok, ignore that, Djohn is spot on.

You need 2 tabs and 1 hanging indent.

So, first highlight the text that you want to format in this way.

Then click on the ruler bar the positions of the first 2 tabs. When you do this, a little l shaped indicator should appear where the tab stop is going to be.

Next, to the left of the ruler bar, are 2 arrow symbols pointing at each other up and down and a small square underneath them both.

Click on the bottom arrow (this points upwards) and drag it to the position of the 3rd tab that you require.

This will give you what you want.

You may find, however that it is altogether easier to put the information into a table by highlighting it and selecting table -> convert -> text to table

And select seperate text at tab.

Carafaraday 16:26 09 Aug 04

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…