Word - recently used documents on the File menu

dave h 12:55 07 Dec 03

On Word 2002, Tools>Options>General, the "Recently used documents on the File menu" option is 'Greyed out'.

Any Ideas how to get it back please?

Thanks in advance.

VoG II 13:02 07 Dec 03

Have you tried Detect and Repair from the Help menu?

Also click here

dave h 13:22 07 Dec 03

Vog,

Thanks for that, but I was hoping for a simpler solution

Big Elf 13:26 07 Dec 03

Quickest way to check whether it's a corrupted template is to rename 'normal.dot' to, say, 'normal.old'. If that doesn't fix it then change the name back to 'normal.dot' and use VoGs link and work through the list.

dave h 13:35 07 Dec 03

Big Elf,
I'm not sure, but you may have meant your response for another thread?

This query is about the file menu, not a template.

Thanks anyway.

VoG II 13:39 07 Dec 03

A corrupt template in Word can cause all sorts of problems. If renaming normal.dot doesn't work, you can simply name it back and no harm done.

dave h 14:06 07 Dec 03

Seems odd that a template could cause a Menu problem, as no document has been opened?

VoG II 14:10 07 Dec 03

As soon as you start Word the default document template normal.dot is loaded.

dave h 14:18 07 Dec 03

OK. Tried Big Elf's suggestion.. no improvement.

Still hoping for an easier fix than your's Vog.....

Djohn 14:39 07 Dec 03

I don't think there is an easier way than already suggested by VoG and Big Elf. Try the "Detect and repair" as VoG says. If your not sure quite how to do it, please post back and VoG or another forum member will talk you through the procedure. If you go to the help button on the "Word" toolbar, click on "Detect and repair" then just follow the instructions. j.

dave h 17:58 07 Dec 03

Would you believe it? I Found the answer on my computer, In Tips I have downloaded from various sites for reference - this ones from 'Annoyances .com'.

The answer is.....

Recent Documents are Missing from File Menus in Office XP

In most applications, a list of the most frequently opened documents is shown at the bottom of that application's File menu. However, due to a bug in Microsoft Office XP, there may be no such list in Word 2002, Access 2002, Excel 2002, or PowerPoint 2002.
To find out if the bug affects you, open any Office XP application, select Options from the Tools menu, and choose the General tab. If the Recently used file list is grayed out (disabled), then the bug affects you. Otherwise, place a check in the checkbox, and you're done!
Here's how to fix this bug:
• Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
• Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Policies\ Explorer.
• On the right side, delete the NoRecentDocsHistory value.
• Close the Registry Editor when you're done; the change will take affect the next time you start any Office XP application.

Cheers to everybody for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…