//some 3rd party need geo

Word Pro facilities in Word?

Tony Cannon 15:38 27 Aug 05

I've been a user of Word Pro since the Ami Pro days, i.e. early 1994! I have Smartsuite 9.8 and a huge number of files and templates ('Smartmasters') and use it all the time in my work as a vicar. All sorts of things are automated and save me a huge amount of time.

I guess the chances of any development work being done on it by IBM/Lotus must be about nil, and so I will have to face the music eventually and go over to Word (or perhaps Open Office, I have both). Of course, as Word is not the one I am familiar with, I hate it!

Anyway, there would be two particular facilities that I would badly miss and wonder if it is possible to emulate them in Word. One is the tabbed dividers for separate Divisions and also Sections within a Division. Some of my documents are very complex, and the tabs make them a dream to rattle around. No idea why Word doesn't have them as Excel now does.

The other thing is the 'Properties' boxes that appear when you want to change anything. As they are context-sensitive, they make changing almost anything very intuitive. Is anything similar possible in Word XP?

Diemmess 17:11 27 Aug 05

As a Word user I'm hoping you don't need to change.
Is this any help?
click here

Tony Cannon 17:35 27 Aug 05

Thanks, Lotus, but you know that no serious work has been done on the product since, what, 1998 and the wordpro.exe file is dated 3 years ago. The last updates were almost irrelevant. Office Suite reviews now tend to ignore it as an option, and when it is mentioned it is unfavourably reviewed. I would love to stick with it, but unless you guys commit to its ongoing development, you know as well as I do that it will soon disappear.

Will we see Smartsuite 2006/Vista soon or will you let it die. That would be so sad as it was a great word processor in its day.
Tony

Diemmess 18:12 27 Aug 05

As I said, I'm used to Word so hold no brief for anything else, but would hate to have to learn a new system and "forget" the ways I'm used to.

Word processing is fundamental to computer use for most people, and.... IF.... Word Pro can be installed on your computer, why change?

If it cannot be used with your version of Windows then you have a problem indeed!

I have stuck with CorelDrw many years for fancy graphics and posters. Though Microsoft and Corel co-exist very uneasily the later versions of Word will recognise and accept it.

If you have to re-learn, I suspect the answer may lie with terminology and methods rather than non existance of your favourite facilities.

A thought crossed my mind that my local BBC radio has a free open house in the city to encourage computer use. Whether they teach a standard blow-by-blow use, or can help with more detailed and advanced problems I do not know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…