Word (office 2000) closing down

Safwana 09:16 08 Feb 03

An intermittent problem has bugged me for months: When I try to close a file, MS Word informs me of an error which necessitates closing down the programme. Usually no information is lost following a rebootof the programme.

I am using XP home editiion and have recently downloaded SP 1,2 and 3 for Office 2000 without any difference. I also installed all updates, but the problem remains. Any ideas?

Safwana.

Gongoozler 10:57 08 Feb 03

Safwana, without more information it is almost impossible to say what is the cause of this problem, however the behaviour you describe is somewat similar to some of that described in this Microsoft article http: //support.microsoft.com/?kbid=243579. (I have added a space after http: to prevent the link being corrupted. remove it when you paste the link into the browser address window)

Safwana 17:13 08 Feb 03

Thanks Gongoozler, but I can find no similar symptoms described in the MS knowledge base or in the FAQ etc. I also am not using Norton antivirus - to which the article refers - but Macafee.

Gongoozler 17:24 08 Feb 03

Safwana, can you tell us the full error message, just in case it has any clues. Has the problem been there since you installed Office, or did it start after you installed something else (Macafee perhaps)?

VoG™ 18:02 08 Feb 03

This is a duplicate thread click here

graham 18:09 08 Feb 03

Not too many redundancies I trust?

Safwana 11:13 09 Feb 03

Thanks again for the input. By opening and closing files I managed to force two error messages today before the programme closed down.

The first - and usual - message is: "MS Word has encountres a probelm and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvininece." I then get the option of sending an error report - which I always do.

The second message on another occasion was: "Runtime error. Program: c\...\..\WINWORD.exe. Abnormal program termination." I have not seen that message before, so it could be a red herring.

Safwana.

Gongoozler 19:58 09 Feb 03

Safwana, trawling through a Google search, I have found 2 suggestions that look possible. One is that you have an incompatible document from a previous version of Word, the second is that you have loaded some software thet is incompatible with Word.

The other possible cure is to uninstall Office and then reinstall it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…