Word keeps opening the last saved document

Sparkly 19:25 13 Sep 09

Hi all could anyone through some light on this each time my son opens word instead of opening a new blanc document it opens the last one that was opened/saved in word nothing major just an irratating problem.
I think he uses word 2003 not sure on this as he is out so cannot check this.

mfletch 19:31 13 Sep 09

Create a new blank template

Then just click on save not save-as {template}

If you get what I mean

Is he saving it as a template all the time

He should not be.

Sparkly 19:44 13 Sep 09

Hi mfletch
Not sure what he is doing but i will email him your responce and hopefully it will sort him out.
Thanks for the help i will post back when i get an answer from him.

Sparkly 07:00 16 Sep 09

Well sorry for the absence in replying in the end i gave up waiting for him to update me so went down to his to take a look for myself,
opened word the last document he was working on opens, clicked on open a new blanc doc,clicked on save,saved as word doc saved as everything listed but each time the one he was working on reopens, i think it might be easier just to reinstall word.
Unless anyone can think of an option.

Eric10 10:01 16 Sep 09

Reinstalling Word will probably not cure your problem. Just search for normal.dot with the search set to include hidden files and then delete or rename any that you find. Next time you open Word it will not be able to find its default template so will automatically create a new one. Many of the program's settings are saved in the normal.dot template so deleting this can cure a multitude of problems.
If you do decide to reinstall Word then you should also delete normal.dot anyway as it is not overwritten when Word is reinstalled.

Sparkly 11:02 16 Sep 09

Hi Eric10 thanks will give that a go, fingers crossed.

Sea Urchin 11:49 16 Sep 09

Problem was you saved the blank document as word.doc - it should have been saved as a Template, and what's more should have replaced the Normal.dot template.

But following Eric10's advice should get you there.

Sparkly 12:40 16 Sep 09

Sea Urchin will do thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…