Word icon disappeared

Pineman100 18:40 27 Oct 06

A friend of mine has a 2-yr old PC running XP Home SP2.

She recently installed a 2006 upgrade to her Norton Internet Security. The installation and registration went fine, but her Word launch icon has disappeared from her desktop and from Start>All Programs.

She and her husband have separate accounts on the computer. The Word icon is still there on his account, but not on hers.

Can anyone please explain this, and tell me how to get it back for her? I don't want to use System Restore if I can avoid it, because this will mean going through the tedious business of reinstalling the Norton upgrade.

Thanks for any suggestions.

VoG II 18:47 27 Oct 06

Right click the desktop, New > Shortcut.

In the location box enter

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE

and follow the prompts. That is for Word 2003. For Word 2002 it would be OFFICE 10, for Word 2000, OFFICE9.

Diemmess 18:50 27 Oct 06

Have you tried searching for Winword.exe in Search or My Computer?

If you can find it you should be able to right click on it and make a shortcut to Winword.exe

Then you can drag this shortcut to your desktop.

It depends on how awkward the password and system is trying to be!

Pineman100 18:54 27 Oct 06

Many thanks to both of you regular helpers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…