Word Help - Hangs on Startup

Alien463 13:08 26 Feb 03

Hello. I am a security architect running both a network and a couple of standalone computers.

I have a windows ME computer with 256mb ram, 200gb harddrive and pentium 4 processor.

Everytime I start Microsoft Word it seems to hang on startup, that is, I get the splash screen upon which the program stops responding and must be closed using ctrl + alt + del.

I thought that it might be due to a corrupt normal.dot, but after deleting it and restarting problem still persists. Word opens fine in safe mode from run dialog box ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE" /a).

Thanks in advance,

Alien463

Alien463 13:15 26 Feb 03

Sorry, just forgot to add a few other details.

After starting in safe mode, and then closing this down opening word normally still causes the program to hang.

Reinstallation of office does not help, have checked for invalid registry entries but none found.

Also closed all background progs before opening, still to no avail.

Thanks again

Alien463

Alien463 13:15 26 Feb 03

After starting in safe mode, and then closing this down opening word normally still causes the program to hang.

Reinstallation of office does not help, have checked for invalid registry entries but none found.

Thanks again

Alien463

Alien463 13:16 26 Feb 03

Thanks again

Alien463

jazzypop 14:21 26 Feb 03

As winword /a works OK, look at the advice in click here to see what settings are ignored with the /a switch, and click here for some advice on how to resolve them.

See also click here for more detailed advice.

There have also been reports that updating graphics card drivers can help, believe it or not :)

Which version of Word are you using?

What on earth is a security architect?

frior-one 14:30 26 Feb 03

I too had this problem. rename you normal.dot template file to something else like duffnormal.dot as it has got corrupted.
start word again and all will be ok. you will have to re-set any layout customization though. so suggest copy you normal.dot template to a safe area so if it happens again you can just re-cover the .dot file.
(answer supplied to me by a forum member a while back)

Alien463 17:49 05 Mar 03

After many hours I finally solved the problem.

It happens that my registry entries were corrupt, so I deleted the Data key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Word\Data. I also found that in the Stationery key default template was set to my outlook template, which is probably why word 2000 was hanging at startup. I changed this back to the Normal.dot file, and the problem is now resolved.

Thanks to all for their help.

Alien463

P.S.

Delete any addins from the registry as well, as this may cause a slow startup, or word to crash.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…