Word / Excel problems

collinsc 13:16 28 Apr 10

Hi

A few quickies….

I tried renaming an excel doc but I was unable to and it said “this is being used by another person or program” – but this is a local document, no-one else has access, it was not open, neither was anything that would be using it - can anyone confirm why?

I am trying to ‘save as’ a document I.e the same name, but when I try to save it it says it is “Read only” so I must change the name, it is no ‘read only’ on properties and I cant think why it would be – it wasn’t a few weeks back! Again this is a local copy, not accessed by anyone else.

Thanks

collinsc 14:55 28 Apr 10

anyone!? ta

TonyV 15:16 28 Apr 10

Sometimes this means there are two copies of the document already open. (Maybe a double click when trying to open it). Does it look as though there are two copies open? i.e press the RH top exit cross and see if a copy still appears on the screen.

TonyV

collinsc 16:54 28 Apr 10

Tony - thanks, but no it wasn't that. very bizarre. It's happened before and im not sure why.

Rahere 17:39 28 Apr 10

Excel can do that - maybe you are working on an emailed copy and the file is in a temporary folder?

Otherwise reboot and try again - if that's an option!

collinsc 17:55 28 Apr 10

Rahere - thanks, yes that is an option, but i just wondered why it occurred!.

This is on a network drive at work. It is not an emailed version.

Rahere 15:51 29 Apr 10

I worked at a place recently in an attempt to streamline processing incoming items, we were all working from one excell file on a networked drive - It didn't work well at all.

multiple users'data was lost each time it was saved with warning about other users etc in the end I saved a local copy and copied the my work in later to avoid any loss of work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…