Word Documents come up as symbols

stu1901 22:00 03 Oct 06

Hi,
All the documents on my computer, when opened, an encoding message comes up. Choices include opening them with windows or MS Dos.
When i open the word documents all that shows up are various symbols with none of the origial document visible.

Thanks for any help.

Joe R 22:06 03 Oct 06

stu1901,

to open a word document, you must open it with word or download this click here

stu1901 22:35 03 Oct 06

i do have word to open it with!! it just doesnt open

VoG II 08:33 04 Oct 06

Try Detect and Repair on the Help menu in Word.

Storik 11:05 04 Oct 06

I've had this problem when trying to open documents that were in a different format to Word. The symbols seem to be some kind of format coding - and going slowly through them, I found the original text buried amidst the symbols. Retrieval was painfully slow by copying the text found into a new window and saving it as a current word document.

Have you tried opening the documents in "text" format and seeing what happens?

Other than that,VoG™ suggestion about Detect and Repair under the help menu seems a likely solution. If that doesn't work - reinstalling Word seems to be the only thing to do. Could be the files themselves have become corrupted somehow.

Storic

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…