Word Documents are locked help!

Ade_1 12:31 17 Sep 05

Hi, i am writing on behalf of my mother, she has a laptop, and she is unable to edit her work, or work she has been sent and hse is unable to make her own Word document.It says at the bottom of the word screen, Modification is not allowed because the document is locked. But like i said she cant create her own Word document either... Can anyone help? any help would be greatly appriciated. (word 2003, win XP SP2)

Graham ® 12:40 17 Sep 05
  Ade_1 13:10 17 Sep 05

i am unable to do those things on there, thanks for the advice anyway.

Eric10 13:50 17 Sep 05

Some Microsoft Office applications that are pre-installed when you buy a computer need to be activated. If they aren't activated then they only give limited functionality after a certain length of time. The following is from Word 2003's help file:

If you cannot make changes to a document, your Word program might not be activated, the document might be locked for editing or password-protected, or you might be trying to modify a document or text in a form that is protected.

click here for the relevant page. Could this possibly apply in your mother's case?

Ade_1 13:59 17 Sep 05

well, it did come installed on the computer with a certain amount of trial days, so i installed the Microsoft Office pack which she bought for it, but that did exactly the same, luckily we had Microsoft Word in another Office package which is 2002 version, and that works fine on it, which i find strange...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…