Word document - format problems

griffo 15:01 31 Dec 07

I have had a couple of forms, created in Word, emailed to me with format problems. These are forms with text boxes needing populating, with tab facilities between boxes. However, a couple of sections have some of the text (outside the boxes) in the wrong places, causing the form to not make sense.

I have contacted the sender, who tells me the forms are fine his end. I have tried opening them on different PC's but they have the same problems.

Can anyone suggest a solution please?

johnnyrocker 15:02 31 Dec 07

are they definately in word?

johnny.

DieSse 15:08 31 Dec 07

Without seeing the forms, it's difficult to comment sensibly. Is it possible to email the forms?

Perhaps they were written with fonts that your copy of word hasn't installed?

Perhaps you have an olderr version of Word?

griffo 15:12 31 Dec 07

I believe so - when opened, the Properties say the type is Microsoft Word 97 - 2003 Document.

wee eddie 15:14 31 Dec 07

Why not ask the Sender to fill in one of his Forms.

My guess is that the moment that try to enter more text than the text box is able to handle. it starts overlapping and makes everything unusable.

johnnyrocker 15:14 31 Dec 07

how does, as asked this compare with your version of word?

johnny

griffo 15:15 31 Dec 07

I could send you the forms if you wish? See my reply to johnnyrocker - I have Word 2003. They are Natwest Bank forms and the toolbar shows 'NatwestText' 11.5 but is greyed, so I can't change it.

griffo 15:19 31 Dec 07

That's not really the problem. I was happily filling in one of the forms (having had to change the view from Reading Layout to Print Layout - Normal Layout was hopeless, all the text boxes were separated from the descriptive text that sits alongside each box), when I came to a section where the questions didn't sit alongside their answer boxes. Consequently, the form ceased to make proper sense.

griffo 15:20 31 Dec 07

I have Word 2003.

silverous 16:05 31 Dec 07

I suspect it may be that the printer settings (margins etc.) of the producer of the document are different to yours. Do you have a default printer configured? It is why most people send forms in Acrobat format - as it should (for the most part) retain layout correctly. You could try playing around with margins to see if you can get everything to line up correctly?

palinka 16:09 31 Dec 07

When I've had problems with forms I've solved it this way (though don't know if it will help in your case). Save the form on desktop or wherever; complete it and re-save. Now attach to the reply email as a fresh attachment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…