Word Docs changing to Wordpad

item 09:46 28 Jan 03

New PC from Multivision running XP. I've loaded Office 97 successfully except when I transfer my Word docs from old PC (Win ME) they all change to Wordpad icons. Can still be opened using Word but if using explorer to open files they open in Wordpad. Word docs copied onto floppy disk appear as Word icons until I put the floppy into the new machine when they all change to Wordpad on the floppy!!!

Would be grateful for any comments.

scotty 09:49 28 Jan 03

Right click on a doc file in Explorer. Select the "Open with" option. Select Word and tick the always use box. This will associate the doc extension with Word.

cherria 09:59 28 Jan 03

The icon is determined by the file association on the PC with XP on it.

If you did a standard installation of Office97 then this should have associated the .doc file extension with microsoft word so something seems to have gone wrong and you'll need to manually associate .doc with MS word.

In File Explorer go to tools->options (or folder options) then select the file types tab.

search for wordpad in the list and select this and press edit.

The default extension should say .doc. In the actions box below, click on the open option and click edit.

then in the box that pops up the entry that reads application used to perform action should be reading wordpad.exe so you need to change this.

click browse and locate winword.exe (should be in program files\microsoft office\office I think)

Highlight winword.exe and click open. Cliko ok to get back through the menus.

that should do it. If I've missed any steps or there's a simpler way, I'm sure somebody will let you know.

cherria 10:00 28 Jan 03

Doh!

I knew there must be a simpler way...

thanks scotty, I'll remember that for XP in the future.

item 10:06 28 Jan 03

Scotty

Thanks for prompt reply. Worked fine.

Regards, Item

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…