Word doc opening at boot

tugboat 19:20 22 Oct 03

I have a P3 500 pc with W2K. At boot I keep getting a Word doc opening that says its source is in the temp folder. It runs to 80 odd pages of gibberish mainly., but it does say that 'this program will not run in dos'. I cannot find what programme is generating this doc. which disappears when I close it.
Can anyone give me advice as to how to get rid of this irritation?

Gongoozler 19:37 22 Oct 03

Hi tugboat. It sounds to me like there is a file set to open at boot that has been associated with Word. When this document has opened, if you select File - Properties - General, you should see the full name and location of the file. If it has an extension other than .doc you can then disassociate from Word. I don't know enough about Windows 2k to advise you on this.

Djohn 20:07 22 Oct 03

eighty-odd pages! Should be easy enough to find if you look in your temp. folders, windows and internet.

Have a look and if it's just a temp. file, it should be safe to delete from there, or move to the bin and wait for a while to see if it affects anything, if not kick it out from the bin. j.

tugboat 23:07 22 Oct 03

when I close the doc. it disappears so it is not a problem after, it just happens every time I boot up, and slows the process down.

matthew-293741 23:41 22 Oct 03

Have you tried looking in your start up menu to see if you can uncheck?....goto...start>run>type msconfig>tab along to start up>uncheck the box that rel;ates to your word document.

job done

tugboat 23:49 22 Oct 03

I can't find this in my os, knew it was in w98.

powerless 23:52 22 Oct 03

Yup, no msconfig in 2000.

Try click here

tugboat 00:03 23 Oct 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…