Word annoying problem

He lives 15:29 11 Apr 08

Every time I start a new Word document the previous doument is displayed which I have to delete before starting work. It's a very minor thing but I'm finding it quite annoying!

VoG II 16:30 11 Apr 08
  He lives 16:05 14 Apr 08

Thanks VoG. Unfortunately my pc running XP does not recognise winword / a. have tried recreating Normal.dot template and reinstalling Word all to no avail. Problem still persists.
Any suggestions anyone?

Eric10 16:25 14 Apr 08

You seem to have introduced a space between "/" and "a" which shouldn't be there. The command is "winword /a" not "winword / a".

pj123 16:31 14 Apr 08

If you do a search for normal.dot and delete any that you find when you next start Word it will create a new one.

I am running Win XP and have just tried the link that VoG™ has posted. It works fine for me.

He lives 14:55 15 Apr 08

Thanks all. Searching for "winword/a" or "normal.dot" produces "No results". Problem with Word displaying previous document still persists.

Woolwell 15:16 15 Apr 08

It is almost certainly a corruption of the normal.dot. It does sound as though you are saving your documents as a template as well as a normal doc.

You can usually find the normal.dot by going to My Computer - Drive C - Documents and Settings - Click on the file with your user name - Application Data - Microsoft - Templates. Delete Normal and a new Normal.dot will be created when you start Word.

shellship 16:02 15 Apr 08

I had to do this a while ago. Could not understand why Search did not find normal.dot. Found that my new edition of XP had made Search go to default which is "not searching in hidden files or folders" and normal.dot is hidden. All OK now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant