Word 97 in XP

Maxieuk 09:46 19 Mar 03

I have just got a new computer with Windows XP. I have installed Office 97 which worked fine on my old computer under Windows 98, but now Word locks up after a few minutes and locks the whole computer up. Under 'Task Manager' I find that winword.exe is using 99% of CPU and 2284k Mem Usage. The only way I can get back control of my computer is to 'End Task' for winword.
My computer is an AMD XP 2600 with 512mb Memory.
I have tried reinstalling Office but still get the same problem.
PLEASE HELP as this is driving me crazy!!!!

Djohn 10:00 19 Mar 03

Don't know what is causing the problem, someone will though, this is just to say don't worry too much as Office97 will work with win XP. J.

cherria 10:04 19 Mar 03

Many word issues are caused by problems in the normal.dot template.

In windows explorer, search for all occurrences of the file normal.dot and rename them to normal.old (or delete them if you have not made any special modifications)

now start up word. it will recreate a clean version of normal.dot.

This may solve the problem, otherwise, you may be looking at an uninstall/reinstall of office.

Brazils 10:14 19 Mar 03

I have Office 97 working in XP, but it was not without teething problems. I do not know the answer to your problem, but I can assure you that the people here will soon have you sorted!

By the way have you got XP SP1, and have you downloaded the Service packs 1 and 2 for Office?

Good Luck.

GroupFC 10:41 19 Mar 03

I had a similar problem and some teething trouble with XP and word 97 and found that deleting normal.dot fixed it.

Word 97 now works fine.

Post back if you are still having problems and I'm sure someone will come to the rescue!

Maxieuk 11:35 19 Mar 03

Many thanks for your help.
I renamed Normal.dot and restarted Word. I have just been using Word for about an hour without any problems.
You have made an old man very happy.
My thanks to all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…