Word 2007 (home ) saves non existant docs

Diemmess 13:39 19 Aug 09

A remarkable 87yr old seems to have a problem with Word 2007. A new document is acknowledged each time he opens word. (new document 1 to so far New doc 20).
I have only been able to investigate during longish phone calls.
I think it is a Word related fault because everything else including his precious Photoshop behaves normally.

Each time he opens Word it lists the "recent" docs but says the file is empty.
Or if normal commital to the recycle bin has been carried out then Word cannot find the listed file.

To my utter astonishment he has no copy of any of the very few letters he has written, relying on hard copy for record puroposes.

By no means short of grey cells he is mustard with his lifetime of photos and their handling, and in fact bought his first computer for that purpose alone.

I use Office XP and will have to go and visit him, but if anyone has tackled this problem in Word 2007 (Home & Student) I'd like to know?

Diemmess 08:46 20 Aug 09

Anyone?

VoG II 08:57 20 Aug 09

I would suspect the usual culprit - a corrupt template. Search for normal.dot* and delete it then start Word.

Diemmess 09:11 20 Aug 09

That's what was at the back of my mind, though I will have to visit him and do it myself rather than trust him and the telephone for a blow-by-blow.

Sea Urchin 15:22 20 Aug 09

Why not use Team Viewer - saves the bus fare :@)

click here

Diemmess 17:25 20 Aug 09

No worries Sea Urchin, I have a bus pass! - Pity there's no useful bus service.

No, its no problem to make the 20 mile round trip, just a matter of fitting a visit in.

I tried the telephone method but we were having difficulty with finding normal.dot and he was nervous about upsetting anything.

It has to be the old normal.dot corruption. He hardly uses Word, so it is only a niggle [to him].

Thank you both. Will tick as resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced