word 2003 upgrade problems

pharte 17:15 29 Feb 04

I have bought and am trying to install word 2003 and it is crashing my system. It gets to the part where it is overwriting the old version and just reboots.

If i try to uninstall the older version (word 2001-sr)or the system crashes and restarts again.

would I be better off totally removing word from the registry and starting a fresh install.. if so can u point me in the right direction please

anon1 17:47 29 Feb 04

Did you buy an upgrade or the full package. If the full package try uninstalling the old version first. Have you tried installing via control panel add/remove programs?

pharte 18:56 29 Feb 04

I wil try through add/remove as you suggested.

pharte 19:25 29 Feb 04

another crash !!

where can I find it in the registry, can I delete it manually from there

anon1 21:20 29 Feb 04

Is there any error message at the "crash"

pharte 22:44 29 Feb 04

no error messages

it starts to try and install everytime I put the disc back in the drive and gets to the point of uninstalling the old version (microsoft office professional and bookshelf for windows 95) which works fine.

I reinstalled that to check if that was a problem which it does not seem to be.

I did have word 2000 as a standalone upgrade and that disc causes the computer to crash if I try to install again just as the new 2003 version does.

I am getting errors and crashes caused by ahead (nero) if that has any bearing.

Paul

anon1 20:27 01 Mar 04

I suspect that you may have an unstable os if you are getting all kinds of crashes. I have nero 6 and have no problems with it. I can only say that you should try and remove any office components you have before you try and install the update. If you are happy in the registry then you will find it local machine software/microsoft/office/word and also current user same branch except in will be under office 10

VoG II 22:04 01 Mar 04

Try click here

You need the NT/2000 version which I can confirm from personal experience works with XP. You may be prompted (and have to) to uninstall several programs before you get to Word.

As ever, backup and create a restore point before doing this!

pharte 22:58 03 Mar 04

I tried an xp repair from the disc and as has happened every previous time the system hung on repairing and I have had to do a full reinstall and loose all my data and settings.

the good news is that it is now on and working .....the bad news ....has anyone got info on how to try and retrieve my calender and contacts from microsoft outlook.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…