Word 2002/2003 query

six-h 12:31 02 May 07

I help out with a basic computer literacy class for the over 50's at my local high school,(the blind lead by the partially sighted!)
Yesterday I was asked how to show the status of the Insert/overtype key in the 2003 version of Word. I use 2002, which has the Page, Section, and Line count across the bottom along with the Dictionary language and the required status indicators.
Can anyone advise if this "Bar" can be activated in Word 2003, or failing that, how to show the current status of the Insert key??

Chris the Ancient 12:38 02 May 07

Copied from 'Help'...

If you have an 'Insert' key on the keyboard...
Press INSERT or INS to turn Overtype mode on or off.

In Word, you can double-click OVR on the status bar to turn Overtype mode on or off. Or, on the Tools menu, click Options, click the Edit tab, and then select or clear the Overtype mode check box.

CtA

handful 12:39 02 May 07

I use 2003 and it is on the status bar at the bottom, next to Language. Shows as 'OVR' and goes bold when Insert key is pressed. Can't see any way of turning it off/hiding it.

six-h 12:44 02 May 07

Thanks for that but the lady concerned proof reads and makes corrections for various local societies, and can use the features, no problem. What she wants is to be able to see at a glance the current status of the key to avoid constantly having to re type her corrections..:-)

VoG II 12:45 02 May 07

Tools > Options > View > Tick Status Bar.

six-h 12:49 02 May 07

Sorry, my last response was in reply to Chris the Ancient.
handful, That is what I would expect, and what I'm used to on Word 2002. I cannot myself understand how this bar is missing, I just accepted that it was a feature of the 2003 version. Apparently not - mistery!

six-h 12:52 02 May 07

Ah! the Voice of God to the rescue!!
I will pass this nugget on at the next opportunity. Thankyou!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5