Word 2002 - unable to access Help

harris99 17:50 26 Jun 06

Trying to get Help,the Office Assistant shows Error, or sometimes a window titled System 32 appears. Have tried Detect and Repair but can't get anywhere with it. If I uninstall Word, will I be allowed to reinstall it?

VoG II 17:57 26 Jun 06

What is the exact error message?

harris99 18:36 26 Jun 06

This time I have just clicked Help and entered Smart Tags. I chose About Smart Tags and clicked Search. A window titled System 32 appeared. Closed it and tried again. Tis time nothing happened. Cannot replicate the original error message, but the office asst balloon said something short like " MS Word Help Error". That was all. Hope this helps

harris99 11:42 27 Jun 06

Further to last night's answer to VOG, I now cannot get an answer to Help at all.I click Help,type question in Office Asst balloon, click Search, click any further option and nothing happens

Marsh Warden © ™ 12:50 27 Jun 06

Have you considered downloading and installing the latest help files, which also replaces the others that aren't working.

click here

harris99 14:20 27 Jun 06

Thanks. Started procedure but got in a muddle when dialogue box asked me where I wanted to put the download! Hit the edge of my technical knowledge here. Feeling out of my depth.

VoG II 14:34 27 Jun 06

Try

c:\program files\microsoft office\office\1033

Marsh Warden © ™ 14:56 27 Jun 06

To install this download

You may want to print this page to use as a reference when you are offline.
Download the file from the Microsoft Office Tools on the Web site by clicking the Download link above and following the instructions in the dialog boxes.
Double-click the WdHelp.exe program file on your hard disk to start the setup program.
When prompted for a location for Updated Word 2002 Help Files, save this file to the Help folder in your Microsoft Office installation folder:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\1033

When the installer asks if you want to overwrite the existing wdTOC10.CHM, click Yes.
When the installer asks if you want to overwrite the existing wdow10.aw, click Yes.

harris99 16:17 27 Jun 06

Very sorry ,am afraid I'm getting tiresome. Got as far as prompt for a location and entered address as instructed. Got msg saying "This file does not exist. Do you want to create a new one?" Clicked Yes. Answer came "Cannot this file" Tried VoG's suggestion, same result. Incidently. found that address myself in first instance, but got nowhere. Tempted to invest in Word 2004 and cut my losses!

Terry Brown 17:10 27 Jun 06

Assuming you have the original CD that come with the word package, put it in the CD Drive, and it should check your system and ask if you want to remove /add any items or repair. Select repair.This should cure it.

harris99 17:50 04 Jul 06

I tried everyone's advice with no suuccess. In desperation, I got rid of the Office Assistant. Result was that I got to Help in Word immediately. Not only that, but the Office Assistant and Help are now happily co-habiting! Incredible

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…