Word 2002 SaveAs default

J5 13:32 12 Aug 07

I have Word 2002 as part of Version 2002 of Windows XP Small Business. When I save a Word Document, the default option offered is always Web Page, so I have to change the option manually to Word Document. Changing the default option in Tools/Options to Word Document has no effect. Nor does reinstalling the program. I would be very grateful for a solution.

Thalmus 13:47 12 Aug 07

click tools > options > save as tab, select the file type you want

Eric10 13:49 12 Aug 07

Settings such as this are usually stored in the Normal.dot template. Make sure that "show hidden files" is on then search for normal.dot. It may find more than one instance of it but just rename them all to normal.old. When you next open Word it will create a new default template. You could just delete normal.dot but renaming allows you to go back if some unforseen problem occurs since normal.dot also stores macros, toolbar settings you may have changed, etc. The default location is "C:\Documents and Settings\'your username'\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates"

J5 15:11 12 Aug 07

Thank you Thalmus and Eric 10 for your advice. I had already tried doing what Thalmus suggested but without result. However Eric 10's solution worked perfectly. Strangely, I was unable to get to normal.dot using Search, but did so by using the file path you gave me. I am very pleased - it will save me a lot of time and irritation. Thank you very much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac