Word 2000 wont work

PhiltheFragger 14:03 03 Feb 04

Duron 1200, Win 98SE 256MB PC133 Ram, 20Gb Hdd

Installed office 2000 some time ago and no problems

Recently word has refused to start, causing a system hang, and a reboot does not cure it.

There is a message about low system resources.

But every other program works fine including powerpoint and excell.

Have uninstalled and reinstalled the software,
used Norton utilities to play about with the swap file. used RAM optimiser software and a ram moniter that says there are plenty of resources free.

Scanned for Viruses and Spyware, Checked the start menu and cleared out the crap.

The only program that is effected is word, I even uninstalled Office and installed somebody elses copy instead and still the same,

HELP

Big Elf 14:16 03 Feb 04

Have you details of the exact error messages?

Gemma 14:32 03 Feb 04

Find and delete the file NORMAL.DOT if you have not done so already. This file is notorious for causing system problems. You may find about three copies. The one in windows/application data/microsoft/templates is the one you need to kill. I have seen this file survive a re-install.

PhiltheFragger 14:55 04 Feb 04

Pc booted as normal everything running fine all programmes running except Word. Double clic on Word and it hangs for a long time if you try Ctrl Alt Del
The wording of the message is displayed.

The system is dagerously low in resources would you like to terminate the following applicationWinword(Not responding)

When I pressed OK I got (we do not always get this message)

Msgsrv32

Msgsrv32 caused a general protection fault in module user.exe at 0003:00001138

If we click OK every thing seems to return to normal except whenever you try to start any programme no matter how small we get the following message.

There is not enough Memory to run this programme quit one or more programmes then try again.

With this message displayed the mem meter shows 157 but there is not even enough memory to run start menu with any words in it.

Jester2K 15:08 04 Feb 04

Gemmas solution usually fixes this...

PhiltheFragger 19:26 04 Feb 04

Have deleted NORMAL.DOT

Word starts fine very quick but displays the following error message every time you open it.

Compile Error in hidden module menu code

underneath is an ok button which returns you to word which appears to be no worse for wear and a help button which starts a visual basic help file but no text arrives

The Normal.dot file was ammended on 28.01.04 which was about the time we started to get repeated problems. What is this file and what creats it?

And how do i get rid of the Error Message?

Big Elf 19:48 04 Feb 04

This MS article might help click here

Prospero 17:57 12 Mar 04

I have exactly the same problem as PhiltheFragger - will try Gemma's idea with Normal.dot

Prospero 18:12 12 Mar 04

Thanks Gemma - another happy bunny! No error messages and all's well

Gemma 11:34 13 Mar 04

is the template associated with the just created new document. Word documents contain information additional to the text and formatting which is replicated in Normal.dot along with some other systems information. Whoever is responsible for this file in Redmond has not managed to make it work properly for years. Fortunately, if it can't be found, it is recreated when the Word document is opened. When searching for Normal.dot you may find 3 or more copies scattered around. Delete the one with the most recent date / time if you hit the resource problem. If you like have a read click here

Diodorus Siculus 11:46 13 Mar 04

A couple of options:

Try going to help, detect and repair to see if it will help.

MS have a program called eraser which removes all of MS from your PC; then you can do a reinstall.

click here for info.

click here

for a direct download link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…