Word 2000 problem

Admiral Allstar 16:31 19 Dec 04

Hi

I have a rather important document prepared in MS Word 2002 which has recently become problematic.

I can open the document, but it does take a little while now (about 1 minute). Once opened I can work on it, but when I try to save it Word crashes.

Word does not do this with any other document.

Can anyone help?

VoG II 16:34 19 Dec 04
  Admiral Allstar 17:26 19 Dec 04

VoG™

Thanks for that, but having tried it, it doesn't work. Am looking through other MS articles for help.

Taff36 17:49 19 Dec 04

What are the contents of the document? (Graphics & Text or just text?) How big is it and which Operating system are you using?

Having had this a few times myself I just need to get an idea of how "precious" the document is.

Diodorus Siculus 17:50 19 Dec 04

Can you save it with a new name / new location?

Admiral Allstar 18:02 19 Dec 04

Diodorus Siculus - tried that to no avail

Taff36 - the contents are text and tables linked to excel. The file is about 1Mb and am using windows XP.

Taff36 18:16 19 Dec 04

Big Document then! (That explains why it takes so long to open particularly if you have AV running at the same time)

Have you tried opening the document. Copying it all to a new document (CTRL + A keys) and then working with that one? I don`t know if your linked Excel tables will all copy OK. How many are there? Is it a pain to copy those individually?

Admiral Allstar 19:14 19 Dec 04

Taff36 - That has worked. Apart from a couple of formatting probs it worked a treat.

Thankyou all for your help. It is greatly appreciated. I have been working on this project for a month or so and the excel tables are the key part. I didn't really want to link them all again and format them to the right size etc.

Peter 21:17 19 Dec 04

I think this might have something to do with tracking changes as Word has to keep a lot of old information when you make any alterations to a document. When you have been working on it over a long period of time, in several sessions it can become large and unwieldy. Check to see if you are Tracking Changes - Tools, Track Changes, Highlight Changes - and un-tick the "Track changes while editing" box, unless you really need it.

Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…