word 2000 hangs after modifying print properties

frior-one 11:12 26 Mar 03

when selecting file/print/properties, making a change to say portrait/landscape. upon hittinh ok system hangs.
printer hp deskject 640c win 98
i have tries uninstall/reinstall but no change.
any offers ?

frior-one 13:11 26 Mar 03

help needed please - refresh

recap 15:21 26 Mar 03

frior-one, make sure you have the lates driver for the printer.

Ellie3009 16:14 26 Mar 03

Has the system always done this, or is it a recent thing?
If recent, had you made any changes to hardware or software just before the problem started, or maybe deleted anything?

frior-one 19:57 26 Mar 03

it is a recent thing after getting the machine (laptop) back from having a new hard drive fitted. w98 re-installed by engineers. i have installed the printer software (and de-installed and re-installed). could there be a missing bit of w98?

polymath 20:27 26 Mar 03

It could be a RAM issue. I had the same problem, in Word, Photoshop etc. In my case it turned out be 2 memory cards quarreling (for want of a better word). Removing the smaller one solved it.

Ellie3009 21:24 26 Mar 03

Go and look in control panel and system then device manager to see if any conflicts are reported.

Do you get an error message before it hangs, or just a hang?

And do you get the printout or not?

Also, does it make a difference whether you are printing, for example, graphics heavy documents or text?

Ellie3009 21:28 26 Mar 03

I would suggest you use the link below to get the updates for word2000 and see if that makes any difference.

click here;EN-US;276367

Ellie3009 21:33 26 Mar 03

sorry, that link didn't work.
Enter the number 276367 into the "search the microsoft knowledge base" box and you'll get to right place!

Microsoft also suggest you try this...
Repair Microsoft Word or Microsoft Office
In some situations, Word or Office program files may have become damaged. The easiest way to correct a Word or Office installation is to run Repair Office (or Repair Word). Although this is very fast and frequently corrects the problem, there are situations in which it does not correct the problem, and a more complete removal and reinstallation may be necessary.

To perform a repair of Word or Office, follow these steps:
Close all Microsoft Office programs, and turn off any antivirus software.
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. NOTE: In Windows XP, click Control Panel on the Start menu.
Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
Click the Office or stand-alone version of Word that you have installed, and then click Add/Remove.

For example, click Microsoft Word 2000, Microsoft Office 2000 Standard, Microsoft Office 2000 Premium, or Microsoft Office 2000 Professional.
After you enter the Setup program, click Repair Office (or Repair Word).
The Setup program checks the installed files and replaces or installs any files from an earlier version that are the wrong size, damaged, or missing. After Setup is complete, restart Word normally (without using the /a switch), and try to reproduce the problem.

If the problem is corrected, you may have identified the problem as being a damaged or missing file.

frior-one 08:41 27 Mar 03

thank you for your suggestions. it will be a few days before i am able to try them. do not think that i have ignored you. i will post/e-mail the results.
once again thanks for helping.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…