Word 2000 freezing

Shine77 17:43 10 Apr 07

Hi, I'm having a problem with Word where it keeps freezing whilst it's running and I'm working on a document. I ran detect and repair and it seemed better after that but then started with the problem again. I'm not sure, but it seems to be connected with the arrow keys.
Any help?

Diemmess 18:33 10 Apr 07

Do you have the freezing bother when NOT using Word?

If it only happens when in Word then it is possibly a corruption of the Normal.Template

There is a straightforward and easy routine to deal with this, but it would help everyone if you can give more detail.

Shine77 22:32 10 Apr 07

Nope, no freezing problems otherwise.
I did install broadband last week but the problem with Word only started today.

Diemmess 09:03 11 Apr 07

OK
Stay out of Word for this-
Search for normal.dot (buried deep in MSOffice)
Rename to say normal.old (in unlikely case it belongs to another app)

VoG II 09:08 11 Apr 07

Here are the MS instructions click here

In Windows XP, normal.dot may be a hidden file. To search for hidden or system files in Windows XP:

Click Start, click Search, click All files and folders, and then click More advanced options.

Click to select the Search hidden files and folders check boxes.

Diemmess 09:09 11 Apr 07

***** pressed enter in the wrong place.

To continue...
You can if you like reboot, but otherwise-
simply start Word again.

normal.dot is more than a simple template, but Word will make a new version for itself and the only difference from the old one is that any personal settings will revert to the ones you had when first installed.
(When trying to repair from the CD, I thinks Word doesn't necessarily replace a pre-existing file, and that can include normal.dot)

Shine77 09:25 11 Apr 07

Thank you very much!

Okay, I've done that, although have only renamed one of the normal.dot files I found as I don't know whether the problem exists on the others. I found three in all, one for each user account on the PC. Will the re-naming effect still work like that?

Anyway, I'll see how Word works now.

Diemmess 16:47 11 Apr 07

I'm a bit late to add anything, but assuming you renamed the file in your account, that should do the trick.

The other users probably don't have a corrupted normal.dot so they can continue as usual.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac