Word 2000 files open as Read Only in Word XP

interzone55 08:25 10 Feb 04

My wife has a problem where certain Word 2000 files open as Read Only in Word XP.

These files are standard letters that are opened, a few changes to dates etc are made, then printed and resaved.

The network she is on has recently been updated to Windows 2003, and Windows XP Pro, with Office XP.

After renaming the offending files & the old ones cannot be deleted until the next day.

Anyone any idea what's happening here?

Taff36 09:12 10 Feb 04

I presume this happens at work but it sounds like the Network Administrator has set the security for the storing folder to "Read Only". Your wife needs to check with the IT department if she hasn`t already done so. Alternatively the "certain" files she opens have been turned into templates and made read only to protect them. Tell us exactly how she accesses the files and I can probably tell you what the problem is.

interzone55 11:20 10 Feb 04

The files are ordinary Word documents, they don't use templates apparently. And are accessed from a network store.

Hope this helps, as it's got me puzzled.

pookie 12:07 10 Feb 04

hi - don't know if it helps but i have the same thing - i posted a question on this within last month (do a search on 'excel' from pookie). there is a knowledge base article in microsft website that recommends downloading a patch and applying to 2000 and xp machines - i haven't tried this but many have and they say it works. sorry i can't give exact info but i'm on someone else's pc at mo.

P

Taff36 12:10 10 Feb 04

click here

Download the first document which describes the new features in Word 2003. I suspect it`s something to do with Information Rights Management or Document Protection. Can`t help you further because I`m only upto 2002 !

Regards

ventanas 12:17 10 Feb 04

Here's the link pookie mentioned. Worked for me.

click here

interzone55 13:08 10 Feb 04

That sounds like the solution to this problem, and another she has described regarding the network hanging every now & again.

Thanks very much for your help.

I'm going to leave this open until my wife gets back to me.

interzone55 10:35 24 Feb 04

Sorry it's yook so long to get back, my Wife's IT chap has been off on holiday.

The recommended patch has cured both problems

Thanks for the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…