word 2000 file not opening

dfb70uk 10:42 25 Jan 11

My wife has been busy with the family history, the file is about 48Mb. to her horror this morning when going to show me her efforts the file would not open. We get a message saying windows has a problem and must close. Help please.
Dave
Ps I am runnind XP.

northumbria61 10:57 25 Jan 11

Try right click on file and select "open with" - choose MS Word

northumbria61 11:00 25 Jan 11

Also see here for solution click here

northumbria61 11:03 25 Jan 11

This explains the "right click" and "open with" method as above click here

dfb70uk 12:30 25 Jan 11

Thanks everybody but none of your advice worked. I think the file is corrupted in some way. It cannot be converted to a PDF file for instance. I have only 1Gb of memory I don't know if that is a factor either. Anybody else have any ideas?
Anyway thanks again
Dave

Jollyjohn 12:42 25 Jan 11

is everything else working ok on the pc?

Do other Word files open?

can you copy the file to a usb stick and try opening it on another pc?

lotvic 14:59 25 Jan 11

Without opening any word documents - Will Word (the program) open with a new blank document?

Can you answer Jollyjohn's questions as well please.

robin_x 15:27 25 Jan 11

See if OpenOffice has any success.

click here

Download and install.
Right click the Word file, Open With..

robin_x 15:30 25 Jan 11

Also try Word Help/Detect and Repair.

You need the install CD or the path/location of where you installed Office/Word2000 from

onionskin 10:14 26 Jan 11

In Word's File/ Open dialogue box, there's an option in the 'Files of Type' drop down box to 'Recover Text from Any File' - it will also recover all your formatting information and any pictures as text, so it's a bit of a last resort.

Try this, it usually works with jpgs where the header is corrupt, (except you would paste them into a photo editing program).

In Outlook, attach the file to an email and send it to yourself. When you receive the email, see if it has opened the attachment in the preview pane, if it has cut and paste it into a new Word document, then save it with a DIFFERENT filname. Good luck.

scotty 10:36 26 Jan 11

I am using Word 2003 so this may not be the same, but if I use the File / Open option, I get a dialogue box where the Open button has a drop down menu. This offers the option to Open & Repair. This has worked for me on a few occassions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced