Won't stay in standby

benson68 11:34 01 Feb 06

My Compaq Presario won't stay in standby. It comes back on & stays on, sometimes after just a minute or so. I noticed this after I'd fitted another DVD writer & also changed my broadband connection to Ethernet. I'm running WinXP Home, with Zone Alarm & AVG.
Any ideas?

Diodorus Siculus 11:55 01 Feb 06

Try removing the internet cable and see if it does? If so, there is probably a setting in the BIOS to "wake on lan". You can disable this setting.

Diodorus Siculus 11:56 01 Feb 06

That's not clear: If you remove the network cable, and it stops happening, then you need to check the "wake on LAN" feature in the BIOS.

benson68 14:15 01 Feb 06

How do I access the BIOS? I've only been able to get the Compaq program to restore its original condition!

Press Man 15:06 01 Feb 06

Try "tapping" the delete key when starting the machine. You may find it will ask for a password, enter the password and you will be in the bios. If you do not have a password you will have to contact the supplier of the machine for it?

benson68 16:47 01 Feb 06

Couldn't access the BIOS by this method. It just gave the option of the Compaq Recovery Console. Removing the ethernet lead did work. Standby worked, but all the lights went out (except the monitor orange standby light) but I had to press the power button to bring it back to life. Usually, I just move the mouse.

Press Man 16:53 01 Feb 06

Try the F8 key. Look on your screen during boot up it may tell which key to use?

Diodorus Siculus 17:45 01 Feb 06

Generally Compaq Setup can be entered by hitting the 'F10' key when booting up according to Google.

benson68 11:51 03 Feb 06

F8 gives a number of options, but the BIOS isn't oneof them!
F10 opens the Compaq Recory Console!
What's next?

De Marcus™ 11:55 03 Feb 06

Are you using a wireless keyboard or mouse?

If so I had this problem a long time ago, the receiver keeps in touch with the keyboard and mouse and this activity kept waking my pc up, I never did find a solution.

Gongoozler 11:57 03 Feb 06

For Compaq BIOS click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…