Won't Scandisk or defrag

iced_ms 13:22 15 Aug 03

Hello peps

All help much appreciated.
My computer is running like a ****. I tried to run Scandisk and defrag but it says it keeps stopping cause programs are communicating with the machine but i closed everything except Systray and Explorer.
The machine is freezing when i try to open programs through Windows Explorer by double clicking and it also freezes when i try to double click in Photoshop. I keep crashing and the machine wont close down says something like... Wnd Admin not responding.
I have tried to reload Win 98 over the top but the machine just freezes.
Any ideas?
:)

expertec 13:57 15 Aug 03

you'll need to boot into safe mode to run scandisk or defrag,

To boot into safe mode:

1. Click Start, and then click Shut Down.

2. Click Restart, click OK, and then press and hold the CTRL key until the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu appears.
On some computers, you can use F8 instead of CTRL to bring up the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu.

3. Enter the number for Safe mode, and then press ENTER.

you should be able to run scandisk/defreag OK now

Djohn 14:04 15 Aug 03

You could try running from safe mode, as this will load only the minimum drivers/programs. Normally you access this by re-booting and tapping the F8 key as it reboots. A black DOS screen with white letters will come on screen, usually offering you 4 options, one of these will be "Safe mode".

Highlight this by using your keyboard arrow keys, [Up/Down], press the enter key and when it finishes loading try again, do a defrag as well why you are there. When finished, Re-boot into normal mode, and all should be ok. j.

Djohn 14:05 15 Aug 03

Sorry! must speed up my typing finger :o(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…