Won't 'restart' after shutdown

andyloran 00:14 26 Jan 05

When I shutdown to reboot, it goes through the motions and then stops with no signal going to the monitor. The PC tries to reboot, the drive lights go on and then off, and the green light stays on. I am running windows 98se, I tried their patch but it has made not difference. I have another problem which may or may not be linked. I have a trust wireless mouse and it suddenly disappears so I have to reboot to get it back. That is when the above happens. I have to unplug to get started again.

GaT7 00:28 26 Jan 05

Are there any conflicts in Device Manager? G

andyloran 00:37 26 Jan 05

None. Even the mouse looks ok. I got it wrong, it doesn't disappear, it just freezes. It just did it again, I ran an ordinary wired mouse for a day or two and it didn't do it, but have had it for about a year now.

GaT7 00:58 26 Jan 05

"I ran an ordinary wired mouse for a day or two and it didn't do it" - looks like a fault with the wireless mouse then, but do more testing to confirm this before giving up. Also, make sure there is no dust in the optical lens (if it is an optical mouse).

I had some odd (freezing & darting) problems with a (wired) optical mouse a few months ago. I liked the mouse & it served me well for a long time. I didn't want to let go, so tried every trick I knew till I finally had to give up & bought a new one - no problems since. Like you, I had also tried an ordinary mouse which worked fine. G

griffon 56 01:04 26 Jan 05

Hi andyloran,

With the wired mouse connected start the computer in 'Safe Mode' by continually pressing the F8 button after the POST and if the menu gives you the choice of 'Step by Step Confirmation' select it with the cursor down key and then step through the start up process by continually pressing 'Enter' for Yes for each line which comes up. You should eventually reach a short line which has the word mouse in it. It is the mouse driver loading line and if it's absent you'll have to go into 'Control Panel' in 'Safe Mode', choose 'System' - 'Mouse' and update the mouse driver with the disc which came with the Trust mouse.

If the mouse driver line is there, it wouldn't hurt to reinstall the driver anyway. Good luck.

Of course, it could be a simpler explanation. I suppose the batteries which drive the mouse and relay are OK are they? Grandmother, eggs, suck.

andyloran 10:02 26 Jan 05

Thanx, has cured the mouse but now still have the cursed restart problem. The fan etc. is working but it just won't reboot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…