Won't Powerdown with XP Pro

>Aitch< 15:29 18 Apr 03

Since installing WinXP Pro my computer no longer powers down automatically at shutdown but waits on a 'It is now safe to turn off' screen. I have the same os on another machine and it powers down OK. Reading previous threads it seems the APM may not be enabled but, unlike XP Home, there is no option available in Control panel - Power options to enable it. Any ideas?

Felix 9115 16:19 18 Apr 03

Are you saying there is no APM tab in the Power Options Properties box >Aitch<

>Aitch< 16:30 18 Apr 03

That's correct, the four tabs are: Power Schemes, Advanced, Hibernate and UPS.

Felix 9115 16:52 18 Apr 03

Maybe your machine doesn't support APM - have a look at Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 307525 for problems with XP shutdown.

>Aitch< 17:25 18 Apr 03

Thanks for the article number, Felix. It looks as if a bios update may solve the problem. XP must be more critical of the computer complience than Win ME as it powered down correctly with that OS installed.
I won't be able to update the bios for a few days now so I'll check resolved then if it works. Thanks again. (<Aitch>)

>Aitch< 17:41 18 Apr 03

Thanks for the link. It gives me a couple more things to try. >Aitch<

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…