Won't detect large hard drive

smdsa 10:00 16 Apr 03

I have built several PCs. I'm trying to add a 200Gb drive to my current PC. Am replacing an 80Gb drive which has been working faihfully. Whilst it is recognised in BIOS and can be populated in 'System', it doesn't show up in explorer, so can't do anything with it. Rechecked all connections, BIOS settings, and jumpers. Sent it back to supplier who tested and confirmed working ok.
It's not an old board - Asus A7V8X Raid Mobo with XP2100. Has anyone else seen this problem? I have read there may be problems with HDDs over 137Gb and BIOS versions, but symptoms are not same.

darkjedimistress 10:12 16 Apr 03

Hi there. Have you already partioned the drive. Might be helpful to do that if you haven't and maybe it will help? Not sure if that will do anything but that's what I would do.

I would assume it is a BIOS setting but that should be easy to check with the Motherboard manufacturer.

smdsa 10:37 16 Apr 03

Thanks, but trying not to partition. Its for video editing, so trying to keep it intact, otherwise would buy smaller drives. Waiting for a response from ASUS

medicine hat 10:49 16 Apr 03

It looks more like a Windows "issue" rather than the bios. Partitioning would sort that out. Have you checked what the max partition sizes is for the version of Windows you are using?

smdsa 16:23 16 Apr 03

Many thanks. You are absolutely right. Its a 'function' of Windows XP that I've not seen documented - all new hard drives have to be 'allocated' (Does anyone know what this is all about?)
Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management ... the new drive doesn't appear in the list of active drives, but scroll down the list of drives and you'll find it - unallocated. Inspect properties and 'allocate' it ... BINGO!!!. Thanks again for the pointer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…