Won't boot with multiple Hard Drives connected

ened 16:30 20 Feb 11

I have had loads of problems with this machine.

I have just replaced the memory and it works alright until I try to boot with multiple Hard drives connected.

When I replaced the memory it wouldn't boot at all. It got as far as 'loading operating system and then re-started. By process of elimination I realised one of the internal Hard Drives was preventing it. (I have 2x500 Seagate & 1x1tb Seagate).

The main drive is a Seagate 500GB Momentus XT 2.5" Hybrid.

The board is: Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H

If I plug them in after booting they are all recognised and accessible, but, when I go to reboot, the machine sticks on the Loading Operating System ... I then have to turn it off. If I go into BIOS before attempting to load Vista they all show up in the Boot sequence: C first/cdrom... etc.

Whilst waiting for the replacement memory I ran a machine with all these drives inside and working.

It will boot with the 'C' drive and one of the other drives but not with all three.

It used to be okay but the faulty memory was causing irregular crashes.

What could be causing this problem?

jimv7 16:59 20 Feb 11

Check if the power supply is man enough to run all the drives.

ened 17:03 20 Feb 11

The PSU is a new 650Watt Antec and was running all these drives on my old machine until this morning.

woodchip 17:15 20 Feb 11

This is a BIOS Problem, an updated BIOS may solve it, but can be a problem in its self doing it. If you are not computer Literate, as if you do not do it right you can finish up with a none working pc

ened 17:19 20 Feb 11

I have never been very keen on flashing the BIOS - the machine used to work okay except for the sporadic crashes which turned out to be a faulty memory module.

Do you think I might be alright if I merely reset the BIOS?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:30 20 Feb 11

SATA or EIDE drives?

EDIE are jumpers set correctly master and slave?

SATA are all SATA ports enabled in BIOS?

ened 17:40 20 Feb 11

All SATA

The BIOS (which I haven't touched)is set to Auto.

Could the BIOS have been damaged or altered when the machine kept randomly re-booting during my memory issue?

ened 20:35 20 Feb 11

Can anybody suggest a resolution to this?

I really do need to access those drives - if only to get the stuff off them.

ened 15:01 21 Feb 11

I now have all drives working except the one with the OS from my old machine.

I don't understand why this has happened but, since I can 'see' it when I install it after boot I shall do that and format it.

It should be alright then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…