wont boot from cd

john1000 20:00 24 Jun 05

i am looking at my mates computer packard bell 1.7 mhz running xp home he has a nasty virus that has damaged alot of files and he just wants to format the problem is it wont boot from cd rom adjusted settings in bios 1st boot cdrom 2nd floppy 3rd hardrive i have managed to boot from a 98 start up disk delete the partion created a new fat 32 partition format it tryed again but to no avail the only thing i can think of is the bios is corrupt the recovery discs for this system is on 4 discs which includes xp and all drivers any help much appreciated thanks

bremner 20:03 24 Jun 05

You do not say what O/S you are trying to boot - not all versions of Windows 98 are bootable.

john1000 20:06 24 Jun 05

the o/s is xp home

john1000 20:10 24 Jun 05

one thing i forgot to mention is on post the bios finds the cd rom so that i suppose rules out the bios being corrupt!!

Eric10 20:12 24 Jun 05

Is there anything on this page that helps? click here

john1000 20:18 24 Jun 05

thanks but already tryed that the problem is you have to boot from disc 1 cd rom which it cant find only floppy but the bios seams fine

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:32 24 Jun 05

Stating the obvious but (just after the POST screen message appears at bottom of screen) press any key to boot from CD. If you dont press in the allotted time then attempts to boot from HDD.

You could download the 6 XP boot floppies from click here

woodchip 20:38 24 Jun 05

If you have a Full XP disc load the disc into comp and from run type SFC /SCANNOW and run the program to restore all system files missing and Corrupt

john1000 21:00 24 Jun 05

after the post it just says booting from cd rom cant find floppy cant find hd ok of course if i have a floppy in it does find it but when there is a cd in it cant if you know what i mean because it cant find the cd on boot i do not get the message press any key to boot from cd i have already deleted this ntfs partition with a 98 start up disk so the hardrive is formatted tryed everything i keep thinking it goes back to the bios i think i might flash it and try again

woodchip 21:04 24 Jun 05

Try using Killdisk to kill partition then try with WinXP CD click here

woodchip 21:07 24 Jun 05

PS if it will not then boot from CD start with Floppy choose Start with CD support Have the WinXP disc in comp after it loads drivers for CD you will have to go to CD drive to get to CD but it will move up by one letter if it was D:\ it will be E:\ and so on. When you find the drive just type setup press enter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…