Won't boot up after Windows update

oldbeefer2 16:50 17 Jun 07

just got back from my daughter's where, when using her laptop, that a Windows update wqas available. Went through the Genuine Advantage malarky without probs and downloaded the update. Asked to re-boot - tried, but error message 'could not start because a file is missing or corrupt - attempt repair using original setup cd-rom'. File concerned is WINDOWS/SYSYEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM. Problem is she no longer has the disc (if she ever had one). Tried to boot in safe mode to try a system restore, but it wouldn't. After umpteen house moves in the last 2 years,she no longer has (if she ever had) the disc. Anyone any ideas please?

woodchip 17:02 17 Jun 07

Will it start in Safe Mode, Keep taping F8 as comp starts then Safe Mode from list. if it does do a System Restore

recap 17:03 17 Jun 07

You can use any disc for that operating system as long as your daughter has the ID number - this should be on the underside of the laptop - you can boot up using it. Once you have a disc click here it may help you in the next process.

VoG II 17:04 17 Jun 07

Also see click here

woodchip 17:06 17 Jun 07

Sorry did not see the last bit

oldbeefer2 18:15 17 Jun 07

Thanks everyone. I'll send her my XP cd and get her to try that.

oldbeefer2 21:52 19 Jun 07

Daughter has disc and changed boot sequence to find CD-ROM first. BUT, when laptop switched on, she doesn't see the Windows XP screen with an option to repair - computer just says 'copying files'. Is this right? (she quit at that point in case she was screwing everything on her computer). I'm lost, any helpappreciated!

oldbeefer2 10:25 20 Jun 07

bump

ventanas 10:37 20 Jun 07

That's ok, it has to load the files it needs first.

When all is loaded to run a repair DO NOT choose the option to repair using the Recovery Console, Instead press Enter which starts Windows setup, accept the licence agreement (F8), and after finding your installation Windows will ask you to select it. You can now press "R" from the options to start the repair. This will install Windows on top of itself and replace or repair any damaged files.

There are some issues with doing this, all updates will be lost and if there is severe corruption the repair will not work.

Then its time to buy a new full retail version I'm
afraid.

ventanas 10:39 20 Jun 07

Meant to add - for further info click here

oldbeefer2 11:03 20 Jun 07

thanks ventanas - I'll get her to try tonight. Seems odd that all I did was to accept MS updates!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…