Won't always boot XP 'Packard Bell'

Rosalie86 10:24 18 Apr 07

Hope some one can help???

My father has an 'XP Packard Bell' pc, It doesn't alway boot!!! The fans go round the lights on thew tower come on but nothing!!! The light on the screen go green for a second then go amber for stand by!!! At times I get a feeling it may be the power switch on the front of the tower not every time the lights on the tower go on, reason for this is 'To use my dad's words' 'I gave the tower a slight tap on the side' and the lights do come on, But still no boot...

Any advise, I would be really grateful
Many thanks..

CLONNEN 11:08 18 Apr 07

Power problem?

Try your kettle lead in the back of the computer - if it boots you'll know your computer's power cable needs replacing.

If you still can't boot your PSU (Power Supply Unit) might have gone bust.

Rosalie86 12:08 18 Apr 07

Thanks for getting back to me!

I'll give that a go, Would you think it could be the PSU or lead if at times it works (Rarely)???

Rosalie86 13:28 18 Apr 07

Also, is there anyway of testing the psu before I go out and buy one???? otherwise could be a waste of money....

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:08 18 Apr 07

Unplug everything except for motherborad CPU memory and graphics card.

Attempt to boot see if you get to and error message no operating system or no bootable drive found.

Rosalie86 09:40 19 Apr 07

I unplugged the 'D drive' 'C drive' and 'A drive' and it still made no difference. But a while ago when the pc started playing up, When I unplugged these three devises it would boot a basic screen...

Rosalie86 09:40 19 Apr 07

I unplugged the 'D drive' 'C drive' and 'A drive' and it still made no difference. But a while ago when the pc started playing up, When I unplugged these three devises it would boot a basic screen...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:15 19 Apr 07

Sounds like the PSU has finaly died, not giving enough power to run everything.

A replacement PSU is usully the cheapest option unless it is a "special"

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017