WMP11 Media Sharing Between 2 PC's

diaz 02:25 26 Nov 07

I have an external drive attached to my desktop PC. I have imported all of my music into WMP11 on the desktop and would like to share the media with my laptop (also has WMP11).

Both computers are connected to a Linksys Wireless Router, on the same domain and have local IP addreses hardcoded. I have forwarded the following ports to the local IP of the desktop:

1900 UDP
2869 TCP
10243 TCP
10280-10284 UDP

There are exceptions in the XP firewall on the Desktop PC and WMP had full access on the McAfee forewall on my laptop.

However when I go to share media on the Desktop WMP Library, no devices are listed to share to!

I have searched everywhere for a solution and cannot find anything. I am getting an Xbox 360 soon and would like to get this sorted before then.

If I use itunes I can share media between the two PC's so I don't understand why this won't work.

Any advice would be appreciated.

beeuuem 03:00 26 Nov 07

From click here
2. Share Folders

Before you fire up WMP11 for the first time, enable File and Printer Sharing in Windows XP. Look for it under Start | Control Panel | Network Connections, then either Wireless Network Connection or Local Area Network, depending on your network type, then Properties. In addition, you must specifically share the folder containing your music files. To do so, right-click on that folder, select Properties, then Sharing, and share the folder on your network.

diaz 13:41 26 Nov 07

I have all of the folders shared and I can access the drive/folder from either computer. I could import all of the music across the network to the laptop wmp11, but I want to use the media sharing feature and stream the music instead.

beeuuem 17:15 26 Nov 07

From click here

According to this you need Vista to stream media.

5. Make Connections

Now you can play music that's on this main computer straight from any networked media device or, say, an Xbox 360. If you want to play music on another PC, you'll need to copy the music files over manually. From each Win XP machine, go to Start | My Computer | Tools | Map Network Drive. Browse for the name of the machine that contains your master music library, and connect to the share you created. Highlight all the music from that machine and drag it straight into Windows Media Player 11. Once you've got Vista, you'll be able to stream music between PCs and skip this step.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…