WMP streaming bitrate

Laser157 08:27 07 Nov 07

I like listening to a classical music station of NRK in Norway. It streams at 170kbps giving excellent quality. Windows Media Player 11 recognises this bitrate and under 'statistics' shows it as the rate which you would experience the best result. I have masses of bandwidth available, but WMP chooses 160kbps which causes intermittent discontinuity. How can I get WMP to select 170kbps?

If anyone wants to try it on their machine the link is:

click here

Laser157 12:21 11 Nov 07

Did anyone try this? Did you get the same result or not? I have done it on another machine with WMP9 and that one does it too.

brundle 12:31 11 Nov 07

Appears to me that Ogg/Vorbis streams at 172 and WMP at 160. WMP doesn't play OGG/Vorbis. I tried with Winamp which reported 170kbps (and was apparently using the .ogg codec). The bitrate mismatch shouldn't be the cause of dropouts, in fact a lower speed should improve the situation, the player will (or ought to) buffer incoming audio.

brundle 12:32 11 Nov 07
  Laser157 14:26 11 Nov 07

Hi Brundle

Thanks for the reply. Yes - I have been using the ogg 172 stream instead for some time and it works fine in WMP (I downloaded the ogg codec). However it would still be nice to know why WMP seems misinterpret the bitrate on the 160 stream. Some time ago I wrote to NRK about it but never got a reply. Did you get the drop-outs using WMP on the '160'stream?

brundle 21:22 11 Nov 07

No dropouts here, either with Winamp or XMPlay (which shows 172kbps) ; sorry I don't use WMP.

Laser157 22:08 11 Nov 07

OK - thanks for letting me know. The mystery remains.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now