WMP caused the screen to go blank

hssutton 13:20 12 Nov 10

Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

Running perfectly until I switched on this morning.

Still working ok unless I start up Windows Media Player, my screen then goes blank. Only way to recover from this problem is a reset. The problem also exists on my "cloned" (cloned approx 6 weeks ago)drive.

No modifications or additions made to the PC in the last few months, apart from a new wide gamut 24" monitor for colour work.

A Vista repair as no effect.

Not a major problem, but any input to resolve the problem would be appreciated.

northumbria61 13:28 12 Nov 10

There are a few suggestions here which you might like to consider click here

hssutton 14:39 12 Nov 10

Thanks northumbria61, I've checked for newer driver, but none are available, so my problem still exists.

I installed my new monitor and drivers two weeks ago and alls been well until today.

GaT7 15:05 12 Nov 10

If graphics (GPU) related like click here, it could've been a recent GPU driver update that's causing the problem.

Try reverting to the previous driver version: in Device Manager > right-click your GPU entry > select Properties > Driver tab > Roll Back Driver. Reboot once the process completes & check to see if the problem persists.

If it works, you may want to disable settings in the OS that automatically download & install hardware drivers click here. Only trouble is you may need to manually install drivers for any new hardware you install / insert. There may be a way to disable automatic updating for your GPU only - see click here. G

hssutton 16:03 12 Nov 10

That's solved it, but have now downloaded a copy of the original driver from Nvidia and that's working.
Possibly a corrup driver?

GaT7 16:14 12 Nov 10

Possibly yes. Glad you have that sorted :-), G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…