wmp 9 re-install

six-h 16:42 11 Jan 05

I seem to have corrupted my media player on a medion 8080 pc, without contacting the help line, can anyone tell me if wmp 9 is re-installable from the supplied recovery disk, or must I re set to factory settings with the other disk?
also if I can re install, will it overwrite the original, or must I remove the corrupt version from my pc first?

Technotiger 16:50 11 Jan 05

Hi, I would advise uninstall wmp9 and instead download/install wmp10. Cheers.

six-h 16:56 11 Jan 05

Thanks Technotiger, but I already have wmp10 on the sp2 disk as yet uninstalled as I am not connected to the internet at home. I prefer wmp 9(call me old fashioned!)

Technotiger 17:06 11 Jan 05

Understood, no harm in having one's own preferences. I have never had to use a recovery disk, so can't advise on that score, except to say that uninstall/re-install is probably the best route.

Cheers.

handful 17:36 11 Jan 05

You could try start-run and type sfc /scannow with the recovery disc in. I know this repairs IE, may do MP as well?

GaT7 17:36 11 Jan 05

You could even reinstall WMP9 over itself from within Windows (no need for disc or uninstall). Look for a file called setup_wm (with an exe extension). Once located, shutdown running programs & WMP itself, then double-click setup_wm & follow the wizard to reinstall. G

six-h 21:04 12 Jan 05

handful and Crossbow7,
many thanks for your advice, Too scary for me to do alone, have printed off your instructions and will execute as soon as I can get someone more confident to help me!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…