wmp 11wont play dvds

carnoustiejim 10:00 18 Sep 09

hi ive just installed wmp 11 but i cant get my dvds to play can you help thanks kirriejim

InTheCity 10:11 18 Sep 09

hopefully you just need codecs,this pack is probably most popular.
click here

Stuartli 10:17 18 Sep 09

Also check, from WMP's Tools>Options>File Types tab, that all boxes are checked, including DVD.

In the K-Lite Codecs Pack suggested by InTheCity, you can also install the Windows Classic or Home Cinema Media Player, which is very versatile.

Stuartli 10:21 18 Sep 09

There are also regular K-Lite Pack updates (as well as the frequent main pack updates). Latest just out is:

click here

Wak 14:10 18 Sep 09

If the above suggested codecs don't work, Google for and download XP-codec-pack-2.4.9.exe

These MS ones worked OK for me on WMP 11.

Stuartli 16:07 18 Sep 09

Some very dubious websites linked to your suggestion...

This is more appropriate(!):

click here

(gleaned from a Microsoft.com newsgroup forum)

carnoustiejim 16:36 18 Sep 09

thanks for replys, i installed k-lite codecs to no avail then installed xp-cdec-pack still not working they open in media player classic
thanks again kirriejim

Wak 09:54 20 Sep 09

Sorry to be so long getting back to this.
I'm sure that the link you gave is the one I originally followed and I seem to have got an earlier version to the current one. I have had no problems whatsoever with the XP codec pack itself.
I would also add that I did not install the Media Player Classic when it was offered as I use the VLC Media player (which is another brilliant utility) if problems arise.
Cheers, Wak.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch