wmp 11wont play dvds

carnoustiejim 10:00 18 Sep 09

hi ive just installed wmp 11 but i cant get my dvds to play can you help thanks kirriejim

InTheCity 10:11 18 Sep 09

hopefully you just need codecs,this pack is probably most popular.
click here

Stuartli 10:17 18 Sep 09

Also check, from WMP's Tools>Options>File Types tab, that all boxes are checked, including DVD.

In the K-Lite Codecs Pack suggested by InTheCity, you can also install the Windows Classic or Home Cinema Media Player, which is very versatile.

Stuartli 10:21 18 Sep 09

There are also regular K-Lite Pack updates (as well as the frequent main pack updates). Latest just out is:

click here

Wak 14:10 18 Sep 09

If the above suggested codecs don't work, Google for and download XP-codec-pack-2.4.9.exe

These MS ones worked OK for me on WMP 11.

Stuartli 16:07 18 Sep 09

Some very dubious websites linked to your suggestion...

This is more appropriate(!):

click here

(gleaned from a Microsoft.com newsgroup forum)

carnoustiejim 16:36 18 Sep 09

thanks for replys, i installed k-lite codecs to no avail then installed xp-cdec-pack still not working they open in media player classic
thanks again kirriejim

Wak 09:54 20 Sep 09

Sorry to be so long getting back to this.
I'm sure that the link you gave is the one I originally followed and I seem to have got an earlier version to the current one. I have had no problems whatsoever with the XP codec pack itself.
I would also add that I did not install the Media Player Classic when it was offered as I use the VLC Media player (which is another brilliant utility) if problems arise.
Cheers, Wak.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…