WMA/MP3 Bit Rate Question

Phil930 14:33 28 Dec 05

I am going through a long process of putting all my CD's onto my PC. The idea is to have all my music on the PC as one day sound throughout the house will hopefully run of the PC. When this happens I will have the perfect jukebox!

I have been ripping CD's at 160kbps so far. However, I see most people rip at 128kbps.

What is the main difference between the two? Is it noticeable to the human ear? What are production CD's actually recorded at?

As far as storage it is not really an issue. For my documents I have a 160Gb HD. So far the music has taken up about 15Gb.

Diodorus Siculus 14:36 28 Dec 05

You will not notice any difference at 128; without the best of soundcards anyway, you have nothing to gain from the higher bitrate.

Phil930 14:39 28 Dec 05

The soundcard I use is a Audigy 2 ZS, but I am considering changing this to one of the latest Creative releases as I desire a front panel as well.

ade.h 16:02 28 Dec 05

More important would be your choice of speaker. I use Aego 2s, which make most PC speakers sound awful. If space isn't an issue, use the WMA Lossless format. I can't tell the difference between that and the original CD played through the PC. The standard bit rates sound unacceptable to my ears in comparison.

ade.h 16:05 28 Dec 05

Should add that the PC in question has an M-Audio card; the best for high fidelity music reproduction.
On another PC that has an onboard chip, the drop in quality at 128kbits per sec is not very noticeable so isn't a big issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…