wma to mp3

SURVEY 19:10 10 Jan 07

I normally rip my mp3 files at 192kbps. I do ahve some 128kbps wma files. I know taht I can convert wam to mp3 but is it possible to convert these wma files to mp3 without further compression to the sound; if so at what bitrate for the conversion?

SURVEY 09:06 11 Jan 07

bump. Anyone answer this please?

JoeC 12:18 11 Jan 07

click here

and looking for Switch under software titles. If I remember correctly, it is free and does what you want.

SURVEY 16:05 11 Jan 07

JoeC - Thanks for your reply. Your link was very interesting but what I still cannot gauge is whether by converting a wma file encoded at a reasonable bitrate to mp3 at a good bitrate of say 192kbps, there will be any loss of wuality from the wma quality of that track.

skidzy 16:19 11 Jan 07

This will do the job for you click here

FatboySlim71 16:26 11 Jan 07

Try this program its called Audacity.

I have used this for a couple of years now and its an excellent little program. It should do what you are wanting. This program will allow you to load the wma file into Audacity and then if you select the "EXPORT AS MP3" option from the FILE menu within the Audacity program then save your file it should be then converted from wma to MP3. You can also edit/cut pieces out of the wma/MP3 file. It really is an excellent little program.

click here

SURVEY 16:41 11 Jan 07

skidzy - please see my last posting above yours. Your link is the same as JoeC but I need to know if this is indeed just a switch of filetag at the bitrates I mentioned or will there be degradation from the wma file?

skidzy 17:47 11 Jan 07

My apologies Survey,i didnt notice JoeC link.

From the site:
Other Features

* MP3 encoder supports constant or variable bit rates from 8 to 320kbps with optional error correction and stereo modes.

I have used this myself on a few occasions when needed,i have never noticed any difference in quality.

SURVEY 18:24 11 Jan 07

skidzy - thanks for your response. My opinion is that if I convert at my normal high mp3 bitrate, I probably would not notice the difference. I shall give it a try.

Thanks to all for their help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant