wltrysvcs.exe not found

Siberian Winter 03:18 18 May 05

My Dell dimension recently suffered a hard drive failure, which was sorted out under warranty. Now after reinstalling all my hardware/software, this error message comes up every time someone logs in. Has anyone come across this before? Dell say it's a software problem, which their software help service will address (for a charge). I thought I'd try here first. Thanks

AndySD 04:55 18 May 05

Nope but I suspect its a virus ir spyware try an online virus scan click here also try running A Squared free edition click here

Dr Bali 11:15 21 May 05

To remove the annoying "Windows cannot find wltrysvcs.exe" message, you need to modify the following Windows Registry entry. (If you're not comfortable poking around in the registry, ask someone who is.)

Run regedit.exe and navigate to the following key:

HKey_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/winlogon

Right click on "Shell" and select "modify". The value should only say: Explorer.exe and NOT something like: Explorer.exe wltrysvcs.exe
Delete the wltrysvcs.exe part, close regedit and reboot your computer. The message is now gone.

Best wishes

Siberian Winter 01:26 22 May 05

Message now removed. I am running McAfee Security Suite and Webroot Spysweeper, but it still got in and remained undetected.

Many thanks.

Siberian Winter 01:27 22 May 05

Message now removed. I am running McAfee Security Suite and Webroot Spysweeper, but it still got in and remained undetected.

Many thanks.

Dr Bali 08:30 22 May 05

Hi "Siberian Winter"

I'm not sure if you still have it on your computer or not. If it's still there, you might try to turn off "System Restore" (but by doing that you'll lose any restore points you already have).

Edit the registry again, reboot, check that the registry entry is OK, and turn your "System Restore" back on (and you'll have to boot again).

As far as I can tell, anti-virus/anti-spy programs won't pick this thing up because it's probably a worm thingy.

Best of luck. (I might add that I know this stuff because I had the thing too...and managed to get rid of it.)

Siberian Winter 23:54 22 May 05

I've checked the registry again, and it's not there. I hope it stays that way. Removing it seems to have solved some other problems I was having. Thanks again for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…